FRANTZ built its bearing reputation on the quality and performance of its commercial grade Non-Precision bearing assemblies for conveyor rollers. Superior bearing performance in dusty, gritty, and sandy environments calls for rugged bearing design and roller assembly, along with options and features that preserve bearing life. Features such as polymer or rubber seals and metal shields offer protection from environmental factors, but FRANTZ contact felt
seals provide a special barrier
for superior protection of the ball complement especially when used in combination with other options.
Properties of Contact Felt Seals
- Filtration: Wool felt seals in a dry state are highly effective as filters in removing contaminating particles that can increase bearing wear. Using regreasable conveyor bearings and saturating the felt seals with grease traps even smaller particles. Grease coatings or oil saturations are available upon special request.
- Absorption: Wool felt seals have a great capacity to store lubrication spun out by the ball complement. Felt can retain many times its weight in fluids.
- Wicking: Wool felt seals have capillary properties that deliver consistent fluid flow and provide for lubrication after long idle periods.
- Resilience: Wool felt seals maintain constant sealing pressure in spite of wear. Felt conforms to the profile of adjacent components.
- Low Friction: Dry felt against steel has a low co-efficient of friction and is substantially reduced when the felt is saturated with lubrication.
- Polishing Action: Wool felt seals trap abrasive particles, effectively keeping them away from the moving components. Felt maintains its physical properties as it wears and protects the surfaces by polishing them rather than scoring them.
Customers in the foundry, millwork, masonry, and granite industries have configured FRANTZ conveyor bearings to their application and found them to meet their dirtiest and toughest challenges. Contact felt seals, especially in combination with other protection options, are a reason for our success and are available in the following models:
For light duty applications, choose our model 1542
which fits 1-5/8” tubes and can be adapted to larger diameter tubes with a selection of our IronGrip
For heavy duty applications, choose from models 2540
, and 3100
which fit 2.5” and 3.5” tubes.
Other conveyor bearings may be able to be fitted with felt seals. Contact our Customer Service Representatives for details.
Further information regarding bearing applications in abusive environments can be found by clicking these links for Regreasable Conveyor Bearings
and Straight Faced Counter Bore Conveyor Bearings